Lessons from my fisherman


Other than his walk with the Lord, our marriage, our children, and our country, my Hero's biggest passion is fishing! So, being stationed for the second time in the Sunshine State is a huge blessing for my hot, handsome, rugged fisherman.

Many of our dates start or end with walking through a fishing equipment shop (yes, I get a high-five for being a good wife. Sometimes. Ahem) and I've learned a lot about lures, knots, ocean tides, and a million various forms of bait. I also truly adore our fishing dates on the ocean. Especially when my Hero sets me up to hook into a big redfish!

As a girl, my parents told me that God uses different lures (means), to catch different fish (people). My fisherman knows how to paddle to just the right location, tie just the right knot on the right lure, and work it a certain direction to catch the fish he wants. It's truly amazing (some people call him a "fish whisper")! But, he wouldn't catch anything if he didn't cast into the water. Fish don't magically jump into his kayak. He has to prepare, plan, and execute. "Come follow me, Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." ~ Matthew 4:19 The question is, am I casting the lure I've been given into the water? Using the bait I have (right where I am) to share the Gospel? Following Jesus by obeying His Word? Utilizing the gifts, talents, resources I have to be a fisher of men? In the grocery store. In my neighborhood. At events for military families. With mamas at the playground. In our church body. On the soccer field. In my home. Online. Offline. 

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the Father except through me." ~ John 14:6

Comments