when a week of sickness reminds us that changing the world begins at home

Cora can't wait to get better and head to the swimming pool!

This week I've had my "mommy-nurse-hat" on 24/7. All 5 (yes, the whole crew) of my world-changers have had high fevers, sore throats, tummy aches, aka the nastiest-cold-flue-virus going around these parts. It's been a doozy.

And at this moment, I  should be cleaning or washing something else in the house, but I'm taking a minute to refresh - writing refreshes me!

As I've prayed for health and healing over my children this week, I've continually thanked the Lord for allowing me to be their mommy. I'm honored to hold them when they are hurting, make them their favorite hot peppermint tea with honey, and bring them another box of soft kleenex for their cute noses. My prayer is that they would know that it's a joy for me to serve them. They are not an interruption to my day. They are my priority. Even when I'm exhausted (which I am and I fail miserably), I want them to know that they are not a burden. They are a blessing. They were created for a purpose (by the Creator of the Universe) and entrusted to me for this time in their lives.

Since they were in my womb, I've called my children world-changers. Recently I've realized that in teaching them this truth, I want to remind them that changing the world (for Christ), begins at home. Some seasons of life this truth stops at home, too (like when sickness attacks). As adults and as children. We build strong families, strong marriages, strong warriors for Christ by the millions of little ways we love and serve like Jesus, in our homes. I've asked my children, "What if we were good at loving the hurting and sick at our church, but neglected to love the hurting and sick in our very own home? How sad would it be if we were always kind, patient, and encouraging to our neighbors, but not kind, patient, and encouraging to the neighbors (daddy, mommy, and siblings) in our own home?"

This week has been change-the-world-at-home-boot-camp and I'm so proud of my children (it's easy to focus on what we are doing wrong, but praising what our children do right brings life!). When one has gone down, the others have lifted them up. They have shown kindness to their siblings by making someone's bed, patiently listening to an important story someone is telling, praying for each other, apologizing when they've been cranky, choosing a movie that everyone likes (this is HUGE), being kind to each other when they are feeling at their worst, and leaving encouraging sticky-notes on my Bible and bathroom mirror to thank me for caring for them. I learn so much from my children and I see them changing the world for God's glory - beginning at home!

"For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." ~ Ephesians 2:10

Comments