3 Things I Hope My Kids Learned From Living In Europe


After summer mission trips to Eastern Europe as a sophomore and junior in high school, I  knew I wanted to live (even for just summer again) across the pond! As a young wife and mother, I dreamed of exploring Europe with my husband and children - walking through vineyards in Italy, climbing castle stairs in Germany, and eating pastries in France. As much as I'm truly grateful to be an American, there are no words to share how thankful I am for the 5 years we were blessed to be stationed in Germany (And 2 of our 5 children were born there!). To see our Creator's goodness on another part of His globe. It's was a gift. An answer to my teenage prayers.

I know that my children learned a lot during their time living abroad and I pray the Lord will bring back memories and lessons as they grow. For now, I hope my children learned these three guiding principles.

1. Everyone smiles in the same language.

Each person on the planet is created in the image of our loving Creator! We are all His. No matter our nationality or race, we have more in common than we have differences. We all cry when we hurt. We all celebrate when we are happy. We may look differently and believe differently, wear different clothing, eat different meals each day, but we all smile in the same language.

2. Our Creator created an amazing world!

This planet is truly incredible! Our Creator made so much for us to explore! Every location on this map has its own beauty - if we look for it.

3. Always say "YES" to adventure!

I pray that my children remember that walking by faith often means "free falling with God." We don't see the big picture, but our Father does. Being in His will, no matter where He places us on the globe is the very best place for us to be. Stepping out of our comfort zone and saying "yes" to the unknown or unfamiliar can be hard, but often bring the greatest blessings in life. When given the opportunity, always say "yes" to the adventure! "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all."  - Hellen Keller.

Comments