Heroic Homemaking Tip Tuesday: A Peaceful Home


A while back, a friend of mine sat across our kitchen table and said words that blessed my heart, "Sheri, your home is so peaceful."

Now granted, my friend isn't here 24/7. She isn't in my kitchen when all at once a is toddler crying as I'm trying to get a pan off the stove, it feels like the ceiling is caving in as my boys wrestle in the hallway, someone's lack of sleep is reflected by their attitude (ahem) as they open the fridge, or when the sound of guitar practice, the evening news, and a YouTube video seam to be competing for the loudest position. But, I have made it a priority to learn to create a peaceful home. Amidst the chaos. This is a priority for me. How about you?

I also don't believe having a peaceful home means no noise, no toys, no hospitality, no real life. On the contrary, I think a home of peace is one where there is infectious laughter, abundant hospitality, squeals of delight, and cheerful voices heard around every corner. A place of healing and refuge. Rich with life. In a world of flashing lights, loud music, obnoxious commercials adds, and fast-paced everything, I want my home to be a peaceful refuge for all who enter. I've read that our homes should be "little churches." That's so good, huh? Little churches. Places where real life is happening, yet all the while the Spirit of God can be felt so strongly that a wave of warmth and a refreshing breezes fills each space with peace. 

First, a peaceful home starts with prayer. We need to pray diligently over our homes and more importantly, over our family living within its walls. I take time to pray over each room, and each person dwelling in those rooms, asking the Lord to cover our home with His presence. I also ask for angels of protection around each corner, "If you make the Most High your dwelling— even the LORD, who is my refuge-then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent(our home!). For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone." Psalm 91:9-12

Secondly, a peaceful home happens when we speak scripture and claim scriptures of peace over our homes. 

The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace. ~ Psalm 29:11

May there be peace within your walls and security within your citadels." ~ Psalm 122:7

Discipline your son, and he will give you peace; he will bring delight to your soul. ~ Proverbs 29:17

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." ~ John 16:33

For God is not a God of disorder but of peace. ~ 1 Corinthians 14:33a

Thirdly, I find that when my family is on a good routine, flexible, yet with boundaries, our home is much more peaceful. Life runs in a rhythm when mommy has her ducks in a row. Sure there are many interruptions, especially with little ones, but when we have a family calendar, everyone knows what days we clean, who has what chores, what activities are planned for that day of the week, etc., it creates order and brings peace. 

Lastly, filling our homes with peaceful worship music and songs that calm hearts almost instantly brings peace within our walls. I love Sing Over Me: Worship Songs & Lullibies, Hidden In My Heart: A Lullaby Journey Through Scripture, and the song  Invade, by Watermark. I play it over and over again every time we move into a new home, prayerfully singing the lyrics. 

Chorus: Jesus, come and walk the halls of this house. Tread this place and turn it inside out with your mercy... Jesus teach us the prayers that open these doors, until your light floods in and illuminates these floors. And let your truth be on our steps and in these rooms. Jesus invade.

How are you working to create an atmosphere of peace in your home? I'd love to hear!

Comments