Oh come let us adore Him


I remember holding my 1-year-old daughter on my lap.

A Christmas program from long ago in my memory starts to play.

My husband was in Iraq, serving our country, and my heart ached, missing him.

Yet, as candlelight illuminated the church stage and music played, “Oh come let us adore Him,” those lyrics took my eyes off myself and onto the humblest King.

Jesus has always been willing to dwell among us. No matter the disbelief, pain, or questions in our own hearts. Christmas reminds me every year that He was willing to be born in a smelly, dirty, messy barn to come near to me.

I get to adore Him - Christ the Lord.

Years have passed, and that beautiful baby girl (and her four younger siblings) are the ones on stage singing Christmas carols with our church family. Now, though, I get to hold the hand of the man I missed many holidays past. My husband and I, together, get the joy of watching our children remind us that adoring Christ is for every moment of this life’s journey. The hardest, the best, and the in-between.

So maybe this Christmas, you find yourself where I did many years ago. A great big heart ache, where there is normally joy. Are you missing someone? Wishing for a miracle that doesn’t come in a gift box? Do you feel alone? Exhausted? Or in a pile of messes all strung together like mismatched Christmas lights?

Jesus has come to meet with you this Christmas, and every-day-in-between. To dwell in your heart and home. To fill every ache with His peace; as you lift up your eyes to adore the One, who simply adores you.

“For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.” ~ Luke 2:11

Comments