I get to serve them

This blog has been crickets for almost 2 years. 

There are seasons for everything and although writing (journaling privately and publicly) is one of the most refreshing hobbies for me, it has not been a priority in this space. 

I'm finding that I'd like to linger with words longer than a short Instagram post... We shall see what time allows, but for now, approaching Christmas, I'd love to encourage the mothers I know who might feel lost in the work of celebrating the season. Maybe, like me, you need a warm hug to remind you that it is an honor to serve our families.

Jesus came to that humble wooden manger, to serve us. What a privilege to get to do something He did, for those He has entrusted to us.

"Jesus called them together and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever want to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave - just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." ~ Matthew 20:25-28



I get to set out the Advent calendars each morning.

I get to bake the cookies and sweep up the sprinkles. 

I get to read the Bible to them, planting seeds of faith in my children's hearts.

I get to whisper prayers over them day and night. 

I get to make the homemade chicken soup for those fighting a cold virus.

I get to drive them to Christmas parties.

I get to help them wrap gifts for their siblings.

I get to teach them how to write thank-you-cards.

I get to help them plan parties (menus and games) at our house, with their friends.

I get to make sure he has clean socks.

I get to help him with a frustrating math problem. 

I get to listen to his newest weightlifting plan.

I get to laugh at his jokes. 

I get to listen to her heart while we drive home. 

I get to help her find the right outfit. 

I get to braid her hair.

I get to set aside my mounting to-do-list and listen to her voice.

I get to give the 1st good-morning-hugs.

I get to create and keep the special traditions.

I get to make the holiday food, listen to the wish lists, & help clean up extra messes. 

I get to be present. 

I get to serve. Encourage. Enjoy. Teach. Correct. Cheer for. Comfort. Listen. Hope & pray with (& for).

I don’t deserve this honor, but I’m so glad God picked me. 

At Christmas time, and all year long.

Comments