Savannah's High School (homeschool) graduation

When our children are babies, those with grown children often say, "don't blink," and "it goes by so fast." And they are right. 

As I look back over our 14 years of homeschooling (preschool through Savannah's high school graduation), I'm grateful. I never wanted to rush it. I remember watching my adorable Kindergartener sound out her first words, paint a watercolor picture of the 7-days-of-creation, and sew a picture of a chicken from one of her little crafting kits. I might be a homeschool mom nerd because I've always loved homeschooling my children. I still do! I have loved the flexibility of them being "off school" when daddy has been home from military obligations. I've loved learning together as a family about the history of castles, knights, and falcons. I've loved planning and praying about what curriculum to use. Making schedules, organizing assignments, and grading papers. I've loved memorizing scripture together. Reading stories that have become like close friends. Nature walks. Holiday unit studies. Working through challenges. I've loved asking the Holy Spirit to guide our days and teach us in HIS classroom.

Every education, whether traditional or more unique, has gaps. There are challenges. And there have been and still are so many days I don't feel adequate or equipped to teach my children. I'm not enough, but HE is. 

"He gives power to the weak, and to those who have no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall, but those who hope in the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up on wings like eagles, they shall run and not grow weary, they shall walk and not faint." ~ Isaiah 40:29-31

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." ~ Isaiah 41:10

Savannah's graduation party was exactly what she wanted and it's one of those milestone days that I will always cherish! I wish we would have had someone designated to take pictures though and I'm making a note ahead of time to plan better for future graduations (although time-slow-down-please). I just wanted to soak it all in and spend time with our family and friends. Our church foyer was full of people who love our girl! 

We began the ceremony with a timeline of Savannah's life (not detailed) that Cora and I surprised her with. It was such a gift to my heart to remember where our homeschool has moved as a military family and the goodness of God in every season of Savannah's life. Then daddy (our school principal & Hero) gave an inspiring speech (not a dry eye in the foyer), Savannah and Alisa sang one of their favorite childhood songs (A Diamond Castle, from a Barbie movie) followed by Savannah's graduation speech. It was beautiful. Next up Savannah's small group leaders and mentors, Delaney and Soma, gave the most thoughtful, heartfelt remarks and we closed with an incredible message from Pastor Casey and Katy Bonham (both former homeschool graduates!) that celebrated the young woman Savannah has become and challenged her to follow Christ as she launches into this new season of life (In the fall, heading to Southeastern Univerity @gfc, majoring in worship ministry & ministerial leadership/Biblical studies). They prayed over her, we all did, and then we celebrated the rest of the morning with a delicious brunch (scones, muffins, fruit, Chick-Fil-A mini biscuits, coffee, a cheese tray, etc!), lot of games for the kids, and the sweetest time of fellowship.

I'm humbled by our friends who stepped in to serve food, decorate, and clean up. We are also so thankful for everyone who drove distances to surprise us, flew in from out of state, and all who joined us to celebrate the incredible young woman I'm honored to call my daughter and 1st homeschool graduate of "Prescott Academy!"















"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength."
~ Deuteronomy 6:5



Comments