Our 1-Year-Move-To-Germany- Anniversary







Today is a big day in our family history. One-year-ago today, we landed in Deutschland for our second overseas tour. I remember how cold the summer air felt, refreshing actually, going from hot, humid Tampa, to Germany's cool morning air.

The airline had lost our luggage, (thankfully the didn't lose our dog!) and gave us each little black bags containing toothpaste, body wash, and XXL white t-shirts. Our family (me with a large 8 month pregnant  belly and 4-year-old-Joshua draped in what looked like a sheet) slept our first night in Germany, looking like ghosts! I laughed then and I laugh now because with all military moves, we just roll with it. And because I know, that I know, that I know, that our Heavenly Father has gone before us. He has always been faithful and always will be. Jesus is our ROCK and no matter where our heads rest each night on the globe. His love, purpose, and grace is forever my safe space.

Some people mark time by January 1st or their birthdays. For me (and many military families), it's usually moves or deployments. As I look back on this year, I see a thousand blessings and adventures we've already had. I see our beautiful Cora Elizabeth (our second baby born in Germany), dear friendships made, a special Chapel family, and cozy rooms in a house we feel at home in. I'm thankful for 30-funfilled-days in a clean hotel (with a swimming pool) when we first moved, a kind landlord, a spacious house filled with my favorite people in the world, and a lovely backyard. I'm thankful for the Edeka (a fantastic grocery store in our village), wonderful medical care at a German hospital, and welcoming neighbors who speak English and have been gracious when we try to speak German. I'm thankful for our outstanding homeschool group, music teachers, CYS sports, and living close enough to a US military base to eat at Subway once in a while. I'm thankful for many coffee dates with my Hero at the most quaint café and the beautiful countryside surrounding our neighborhood to enjoy nightly family walks. I'm thankful for our travel adventures thus far; the Black Forest, several castles, festivals, northern Italy, local sites, mountains and forests, Legoland, and historic palaces. I'm thankful that my Hero has been home, more than away. I'm thankful that my children are very happy here. They love life in Germany, their new bedrooms (the girl's loft is dreamy!), and mostly their friends. They miss those far away, but the Lord has (as He always does) provided kindred spirits here, too (for mommy, too). I'm thankful for the birds I hear each morning, windows flung open wide, and a peaceful (yet always bustling) home.

As I look back on this year, I'm also reminded of some of the hardest trials we've faced. Trials with my health and other struggles, battles, and heartaches that I wouldn't share online. We've grown through these trials and continue to. Comfortable has always been a word that didn't fit well in my vocabulary. Still doesn't.

As I head back into my tiny, bright German kitchen to clean up sticky syrup plates from homemade pancakes, I'm simply thankful. Thankful for this last year with all the hard and the oh-so-much-good. I love this life alongside my Hero and our 5 priceless gifts. My prayer is to continue to grow where the Lord plants us, to see this journey with eternal eyes, to stand firm on the calling God has placed in my heart right here and right now in our home, to love and serve my precious people and those around me with everything I am, and to make and impact for Christ, only because of His strength at work in us!

Comments