January Moments & a social media break


For the past several years I've taken a social media "fast" or break during the month of January. It is oh-so-good for my soul. I love the clarity and focus it brings. The quiet. The stillness of thought. The way my prayers change. The number of extra projects I get done. The fresh perspective. There are pros and cons of navigating this online world we live in, blessings and challenges, but it's the live moments, the face to face that I treasure most and fight to keep in focus. And it's a breathtaking view!

January is also one of my favorite months because it begins with celebrating my Hero’s birthday! This year was pretty low key family time as we were getting over Covid (which thankfully was mild). A day of family fun, homemade cards, and from-scratch carrot cake cupcakes with cream cheese frosting... this man leads our family with love and strength that continues to amaze me. The best husband and most caring daddy! Celebrating him is a daily occurrence in our home, but I love when we make a point to affirm him with words like we did on his birthday around our table. Priceless moments.




Florida winter weather is something I have learned to appreciate. No need for coats, no shoveling snow (although sometimes I miss the coziness of watching flakes falling softly outside my windows), no wind that bites your nose. And gorgeous days spent outside feeding birds!



We also postponed celebrating Christmas with Papa, Nana, and Great-Grammy due to Covid. Which actually turned out to be a fun blessing because we had Christmas foods and brightly colored packages to unwrap in January! 








And we’ve had a lot of ordinary homeschool days. But truly, they aren’t ordinary. They are miraculous. All the great books we’ve been reading, the hard lessons learned, the big tests completed, the painting, measuring, the sweetest sibling time, and moments of big brother reading the Bible to little sister. I love the rhythms of home and the honor of homeschooling my cuties. 







This handsome man and I now have matching shirts as we promote “groups” (Bible studies) together at church. Love this season of marriage, dating my life-long-love (trying new restaurants), and watching God continue to write our love story! 21+ years!



We also had the best gift when our friend Julia visited from Minnesota! I wish we could have kept her longer, but we are grateful for the laughter and time to catch up.



And could Joshua & Cora be any cuter? Be still my mommy heart. On the way to church and I look back and see this hand-holding cuteness. And they look so alike to me in this picture.


These two have been working on their survival skills. One day that was making a campfire with only a flint, knife, leaves, and wood they found around the yard. 


This little lady enjoys brushing her teeth till they “sparkle.” And her hair. Oh I love her curls and puffs of blond softness!



I’ll close my January post with more senior moments with Savannah... She was heading off to her friend Megan's fancy birthday party and I stood behind my camera phone with tears in my eyes, thankful for these precious moments with her. She’s gorgeous inside and out, forever my baby girl, but also one of my dearest friends!




"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." ~ Hebrews 12:1&2

Comments