Raising pure daughters in a culture with Super Bowl Half Time Standards


We have several football fans in our family who were eager to watch the big game last month. We also chose to turn the TV off during the Super Bowl Half Time Show (concluding in advance that it would most likely not be "family-friendly-entertainment"). Even though I didn't watch the show, I've read enough and seen a few pictures online that have made me thankful we didn't watch it.

As a mom of three daughters (and two sons, but that's for another post), I often ask myself, "Who do I want these gorgeous girls of mine to become?"

Do I want my daughters to believe that their value lies in "staying-fit-at-50-years-old," being able to dance around a stripper pole, and dress as seductively as possible to get the attention of an audience?

Or, in contrast, do I want them to believe that physical fitness is of some value, but isn't it much more important to care deeply about the beauty that will last forever, on the inside?

I want them to choose purity, above popularity.

Virtue, over going viral on the internet.

Ladylike gentleness and modesty over fame and status.

Godly feminity and confidence in who they are in Christ over feminist empowerment lies and ambition.

Honor for God's standards over following the crowd.

Respect for themselves instead of our culture's mediocre standards for teenage (and apparently adult) behavior.

I know this begins with me. As mothers, we get the awesome privilege of modeling for our daughters higher standards than this world is throwing at them. We get the blessing of letting them see us choose Biblical femininity, modesty, and purity, not because it's the easy road, but because it glorifies our Lord and Savior. They get to see us choose what honors God, over what brings attention to ourselves. They get to see us seek to live virtuous lives and reap all the blessings that come from living within God's boundaries set to protect us. Will you join me, sweet moms? Let's live such pure, joyful, beautiful lives devoted to Christ (not of judgment and condemnation), that others, and especially our daughters, will want what we have!

More to come on this topic in the weeks ahead and I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Comments

Post a Comment