Moves Are like children


My 5 children are completely unique, set-apart, original creations. They are one of a kind, like grains of sand on the ocean kissed beach near our newest duty station. My little ones are priceless in their very own personal ways. They are filled with numerous gifts, talents, and dreams. God's masterpieces.

As their mommy, I relish the differences in personalities. I appreciate their various "likes" and "dislikes." I enjoy each mannerism and facial feature that make them, them. As siblings, I see their similarities, yet just as many distinctions. No copies. Each is different and I'm bursting at the seams with thankfulness for each one. I love their uniqueness!

Moves are a lot like children... Each move has similarities, but stark contrasts. 

Why do I compare Texas to Arizona, to Maryland to Germany, to Kansas to Florida... and the list goes on 13 times. Why do I believe that just because something came so naturally or easily there, that it would be that way everywhere? 

Why do I think I should be serving or mentoring or giving or sharing in the exact same manner as I did there? And, why haven't I found that dearly needed mentor, "Aunt", big-sister, close friend like I was blessed with there? Why don't my children feel "at home" here yet, like they did there?

In my core, I'm honestly thankful for each move. Sincerely, thankful. I love our military lifestyle. I celebrate and seek adventure. I feel honored to have gotten to see so much of the globe and mostly, to have the precious friendships from every duty station. God has taught me oceans-full at each location on the map. 

Yet, it's hard. 

Why?

Moves are like children. No pregnancy is identical. No birth is alike. No baby has shared the same security blanket or pacifier. Not one has had the same favorite stuffed animal. Not one of my children started walking the same week. Each has a favorite book, flavor of ice-cream, and song. Each child has his or her own struggles, obstacles to overcome, and paths to discover. Their pasts and their futures are one-of-a-kind biographies. They are breathtakingly unique, but their uniqueness causes their mommy to grown and learn with every single child. Over and over again.

So, instead of asking why, I choose (am choosing) to savor the differences. I expect my children to be different. Why don't I expect military moves to be different?

I'm continually learning to "fix my eyes on Jesus," realizing that His timing and purposes are what make life so beautiful. The mystery, the growth, the deep learning.

It's in the "hard" that I'm reminded of all the good. His peace. I need to focus, strain-to-see, to expect the completely new treasures, realizing that these might look utterly different from all the rest. I might not recognize anything from another, but that just gives me more to discover.

“As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease.” ~ Genesis 8:22

Comments