Mother's Day 2020




Seventeen years ago I was in the sleepy fog of newborn days, learning to be a mommy to our Savannah Rose. She arrived 10 days before Mother's Day. It was surreal. Holding this beautiful pink bundle in one arm and Mother's Day flowers from my Hero in the other arm. One of my biggest dreams had come true. I was a mommy. Entrusted with the life of this precious girl and I had no idea all the blessings, trials, and prayers that were to come on this motherhood journey (and I'm sure many more to come). 

Since then I've spent Mother's Days with the sweetest voices delivering breakfast in bed, surrounded by moving boxes, in hotels getting ready to move to new duty stations, with my Hero deployed in a combat zone, grieving a sweet one in heaven the year we miscarried, having contractions with baby #4 who arrived shortly after Mother's Day in Regensburg, Germany, eating at our favorite seafood restaurant in Baltimore, savoring gelato in Western Germany, and two years in a row (that I can remember) taking care of a house of sick children who came down with stomach bugs or the flu viruses right before Mother's Day

No matter the ways we've celebrated, it's been beautiful and messy combined. Flowers and cards. Tears and struggles. Mother's Day is made up of all the moments I have become a mom to these 5 priceless gifts. And although Mother's Day is a special way to honor our moms, I feel like God honors me every day, by letting me be a mom in the first place.


This year, we stayed home and had the most restful, fun, family day! They requested I sleep-in and My Hero brought me downstairs for breakfast. He completely surprised me with an espresso maker (been missing our favorite German coffee shops a lot lately) and Savannah made delicious strawberry and lemon scones. All of them presented me with thoughtful cards (cue mommy tears) and Cora (with help) made a tree painting of her little hands. We went to church online, all cuddled up in our pjs. Me sitting on my Hero's lap with espresso and a scone. Lunch was leftovers, a few card games of spades, a walk along the ocean, a little picture session, and an afternoon nap. For dinner we had takeout by Qdoba (the kids decorated the table so beautifully), Levi and Alisa made ice-cream-sundaes, and we played more cards before bedtime. Simple & special. A reminder that sometimes the most relaxed celebrations are my favorite. And I couldn't be more thankful for my Hero and these 5 precious ones who call me "mommy."

"Children are a gift from God; they are his reward." ~ Psalm 127:3






Timeless love. My babies no matter how big you grow.



Comments